We have been collaborating artists our entire married lives. Our work is always evolving. The experiences we share, or individually participate in, become a part of what we create. Bruce photographs and throws pots and I paint and create jewelry and other objects from precious metals. Bruce's photos are sometimes the inspiration or reference for my paintings and often times I sculpt and carve into his pottery. The results from our combined knowledge and skills becomes something beautiful that we enjoy sharing. Enjoy.

Nov 14, 2012

Spoon Rings back for a new look!

OK, I will confess I was a child of the 60s and at that time, the term "hippie" took on an entirely
different concept from the Halloween costumes of today or the reference made anytime drugs are mentioned. Oh don't get me wrong: some of our outfits back then looked more like Halloween costumes for sure with all the bright colors and flowing long skirts, huge bell bottoms and massive platform shoes and pot....well lets not get into that!  Having said that, I'm going to skip right to the subject at the heart of this blog! The SPOON RING.
   The sterling silver (not plated) spoons I have been collecting from pawn shops, thrift shops, garage sales and such have been piling up in my studio so I thought I would make a few rings from them. For those who may frown on this activity because you think its a waste of beautiful sterling silverware- I want you to know that I use every inch of the piece and waste nothing. More importantly: I am so in love with the beautiful patterns on them that I believe the person who buys a ring will enjoy the beauty of the pattern far more than those of us who covet a set of sterling silverware tucked away in the depths of the china closet or drawer that holds the wooden box lined with a velvet cloth that holds those special eating utensils which hardly ever get used! You know its true. Polishing it and washing it every time you want to bring it out is a giant pain and its always the maids day off!!!
  So here they are and I would love it if you would "comment" (at the end of the post) and let me know what you think.  My favorite is actually the deco, more simple pattern that I see a man wearing.


The very ornate one has a Labadorite stone set on it and the third ring I used a glass engraver to create texture around the pattern which also covers up an initial that had originally been on it.

No comments: